Thanks for stopping by! We're two cousins who love to craft on the cheap and share our ideas. We'd love for you to stay awhile, pull up your Pin it! button, sewing machine, and let us know what you think!

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dolman Style Tee Shirt

Made from knit sheets!

Isn’t that awesome?!

dolman tee text

I found a queen sized knit set on clearance for $5 at Wal-Mart.  That’s a lot of fabric.  I couldn’t pass that up!  I still plan on making a maxi dress for me, and some pajama pants for my dudes.  Later, though.

Wanna make a Dolman Style tee for you?  It’s so easy and fun.

P1060462

Start with the top band of the sheet.  If you do this, you’ll have that cute band at the bottom of the shirt, and you won’t need to hem it.  Perfect!

P1060463

Measure out your pattern with a big tee shirt.  I used one of Hubby’s.

P1060464

Make the sleeves longer and drape-y-er.  I know that’s not a word.  I don’t care.  See how I came down to a point with the sleeve I cut?  Don’t do that.  Just make it go out straight.  I ended up fixing that later.  Oh well.  Live and learn, right?

P1060465

This is what I had.  I needed the band at the bottom to be more fitted, so I cut it in a few inches on both sides.

P1060466

*note*  again, don’t do it quite this way.  Taper your edges so that you don’t have a boxy waistband.  I cut that part off later…when I saw that it didn’t work.  Here.  I’ll draw it out for you in Paint.

dolman tee side seams

Man.  I just can’t get this right.  Cut as shown above, but since this picture is on an angle, you can’t see the angle in which I cutteth the sheet.  Taper your sides, people.

Now then.  See this nicely sewn edge on the sheet?  Cut as much as you need to finish off the neckline and sleeves.

P1060467

P1060468

How will you know how much you need?  Just cut your strips a bit smaller than the neckline and sleeves.  Pin it into place with the right sides together, and sew it into place.

P1060470

Do this for the front and back. 

P1060472

Fold it over and top stitch it into place.  This will give it that less-homemade look you’re going for.

P1060475

See?!  Isn’t that lovely?!  Again, do this for the front AND the back necklines.

P1060473

With the front and back of the shirt (right sides together) facing each other, sew the shoulder seams together on both sides.

P1060476

Take some more of that beautifully sewn side seam from the sheet and finish off the sleeve the same way you did the neckline.

Once you’ve done that, sew the side seams of your shirt.

P1060479

Steam press your seams like crazy, turn it right side out…

…and…

Viola!

dolman tee

You’re done!

I like that the bagginess of the shirt hides all of the “baby leftovers” in my midsection.  I think I’ll wear this style of shirt every.single.day!  :)

signature nat

Pin It!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking a minute to let us know what you think! We read and appreciate all of your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...