Thanks for stopping by! We're two cousins who love to craft on the cheap and share our ideas. We'd love for you to stay awhile, pull up your Pin it! button, sewing machine, and let us know what you think!

Monday, January 28, 2013

DIY Flower Canopy

Okay, here’s yet another post about my daughter’s fancy room. It’s been an involved process! But I am working on about 4 other projects simultaneously, so I will have some other non-fancy stuff soon.

She wanted a canopy, if you’ll recall.

So, that was actually a really fast thing to do. I had everything already. I just glammed it up a bit more than just regular tulle. I’m sure you’ve seen these floating around, specifically like this:

(source)

(source)

(source)

So, I got about 20 yards of white tulle, between my 2 princesses, 2 embroidery hoops, pompom trim, and some silk flowers. I put the tulle inside of the embroidery hoop when it was folded in half, and put a rubber band around the halfway part. I hot glued pompom trim onto the embroidery hoops. Then, a couple of hours of movie watching with the husband, I pulled silk flowers off their stems and sewed them onto some fishing line, tying knots around each one, until I had 4 really long (read: about 12 feet each) flower strings. I put those into the embroidery hoops too.

Canopy (2)

Canopy (4)

Now, the real trick was figuring out how to hang it from the ceiling in our rental…. So, I got a large command hook and drilled a hole through it.

Canopy (6)

It was about 1/8” or 3/16” drill bit. Just whatever fits between the ridges behind the hook. Look at one, you’ll see what I mean.

Canopy (1)

Nice clean hole in the Command hook. I emailed them, they don’t have any products yet for hanging things from the ceiling. They did tell me not to hang anything over a bed, so don’t hold them or me responsible if you choose to do so. That’s why I used a large hook because the weight limit was a lot more, even though these don’t weigh much at all.

Canopy (3)

Then I put it on the canopy using fishing line again. Just looped it through the hole and through my rubber band loop and tied some knots.

Canopy (5)

Voila! That’s French, and so very fancy. They love their fancier beds, and since nothing is near them laying on the bed, I’m not worried about strangulation or any such nastiness.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking a minute to let us know what you think! We read and appreciate all of your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...