Thanks for stopping by! We're two cousins who love to craft on the cheap and share our ideas. We'd love for you to stay awhile, pull up your Pin it! button, sewing machine, and let us know what you think!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How To: Repair a Coat Zipper

This Winter, we bought all of our boys new coats.

We’ve been battling Deege’s zipper since almost the beginning.  It started breaking after he’d worn it a few times and exchanging the coat wasn’t an option.

We kept that zipper working until it’s last dying breath.  I decided to replace it.  It’s so easy, I thought I’d do a tutorial on it.  Besides, replacing a zipper is much, much cheaper than replacing a coat.

Ready?  Measure the zipper that needs to be replaced.

How to replace a coat zipper tutorial by The Crafty Cousins (1)

Buy a coat zipper in a matching color and length.

How to replace a coat zipper tutorial by The Crafty Cousins (2)

I bought mine online.  My nearest craft/sewing store is an hour and a half away.  Boo! 

How to replace a coat zipper tutorial by The Crafty Cousins (3)

Cut the broken zipper off as close to the teeth as you can.  You could just unpick the zipper, but this was faster.

How to replace a coat zipper tutorial by The Crafty Cousins (6)

Serge the raw edge to prevent fraying.

Measure where you want your zipper and get ready to pin everything into place.

How to replace a coat zipper tutorial by The Crafty Cousins (11)

Wait.  Open your zipper before you pin.  It’s best to have it out of the package.

How to replace a coat zipper tutorial by The Crafty Cousins (13)

Now, line it up where you want it and pin it into place.

Wait.

Again.

What’s up with this blasted zipper?

How to replace a coat zipper tutorial by The Crafty Cousins (18)

Aaaarrrrghhh!!!

It isn’t a coat zipper!  Stinking website!  It should have had pictures!  Dang!  That was my only zipper.  I don’t have Ash’s problem of hoarding zippers.  If I did, this would be a non-issue. 

Maybe I could borrow one from her!  Only…she lives 3 1/2 hours away…

Well, great!  Now what?!  It’s 10:30 p.m., the stores are closed, and the coatless child needs a coat for school in the morning.  I mean, this past week it’s been a nice, balmy TWENTY DEGREES BELOW ZERO, so a jacket isn’t going to cut it.

Think…

…think…

…think…

Well, the nearest Wal-Mart is 30 miles away, and they might have a zipper.  But what about school in the morning?

…think…

…think…

…think…

SNAP!!

I’ve got it!  I’ll just sew the coat shut, but only 3/4 of the way.  We’ll turn that coat into a pullover…just for a day…then I’ll get that zipper fixed in no time!

So, that’s exactly what I did.  Deege thought his “pullover” was awesome, and off to school he went.  (I had to resort to bribery to get him to wear a scarf to cover the opening)

Once all the boys were safely on the bus, Monkey and I bundled up and made the 35 mile drive to Wal-Mart.

Dang.  No zippers.

Now what?! 

The kid needs a coat.

I could pick a zipper off of another coat…

…maybe stop at the thrift store, pick up a jacket and use THAT zipper?!

I just don’t know.

Dang.

Kindergarten gets out in 45 minutes.  Thirty five of those minutes are just driving time…

…and it’s snowing, so that’ll slow me down…

So I did what mother in a hurry would do…

How to replace a coat zipper tutorial by The Crafty Cousins (22)

I just bought him a new coat!  :)

Good thing, too, because he and a chain link fence got into some sort of battle at recess, and his coat sleeve was ripped beyond repair.

Goodness.  Boys!

Well, my friends, THAT is how you replace a coat zipper!!

;)

signature nat

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking a minute to let us know what you think! We read and appreciate all of your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...